Suki's Safe Haven is exactly what it sounds like - a safe place for victims of veterinary incompetence, negligence, and abuse to obtain information about this disturbing but important subject. It's a companion site to The Veterinary Abuse Network, which grew out of a site founded in 2000 in memory of Suki the Cat, REPEATEDLY MISTREATED BY EDWARD J NICHOLS DVM, CRESTWAY ANIMAL CLINIC, San Antonio, and to alert the public of serious flaws in state board systems that routinely look the other way to protect the vets - and not our pets. You'll find original posts and articles as well as links to victims' stories, resources, other sites and blogs, and media coverage from all over the net. We'll also cover First Amendment issues for those of us who have been sued by the very veterinarians who mistreated our pets and then used the legal system in an attempt to silence us.

We will never forget. We will never be silenced.

This is an independent consumer advocacy blog and not associated with any government agency in any way.

April 26, 2012

Life, Interrupted: Veterinary Victims Deal with the Aftermath of Loss


Suki and me and happier times,
before Edward J. Nichols, Crestway
Animal Clinic, took everything.

It was 13 years ago tonight that I held my Suki for the last time. It's funny how you can pinpoint the exact moment that your life changes – but not at the time it's happening. It sometimes takes years to realize the full extent of the damage and devastation the complete betrayal by a incompetent, negligent, and abusive veterinarian can cause. Only in hindsight can you see the wreckage – in many cases a hit and run.

Like most every other veterinary victim I've ever met, known of, or heard from, my life has never been the same since this happened on April 26, 1999. Actually, make that April 19, the day Suki collapsed and I made the biggest mistake of my life: trusting a “doctor” to not do anything to harm or kill her. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could turn back the clock and never allow the monster anywhere near her, or me.

Of all the emotions that emerge in discussions with other victims – anger, outrage, shock, helplessness, grief – none is more pervasive than guilt. It's the one emotion that never seems to fade with time – in fact, for many of us it's gotten worse.

What would we have to be guilty about? After all, it was the vets who committed the wrongdoing – the malpractice, the negligence, incompetence, lies, and abuse – so why are we the ones feeling guilty instead of them?

Apparently, not being able to recognize dishonesty, incompetence, cruelty, arrogance, laziness, stupidity, and abuse in a setting that's 100 percent built and designed to be an atmosphere of trust is enough to make some of us flog ourselves for life.

I hear the same things over and over, from myself and others: Why did I believe what he/she was telling me? Why did I leave my pet with him? Why didn't I get a second opinion? Why did I let him/her talk me into/out of unnecessary/necessary tests or treatments? Why didn't I get my pet out of there the minute something felt wrong? Why didn't I talk to people who used to work with him/her sooner, people who know what he/she really is, as opposed to the act? Why did I wait? Why didn't I wait? Why did (or didn't) I do this, or that, or something, anything, that would have made this horror story never happen.

Over and over, every day, for years, decades, lifetimes: Why?

Feelings of guilt, depression, anxiety and worthlessness, on top of the unrelenting grief, pain, and outrage, can choke the life out of, well, life. The weight of all that is crushing, and while you may be able to live with the grief, pain, and outrage (and do something constructive with it), there's not much you can do with guilt.

But here's the thing, and this is what I tell every vet victim, including myself. Sometimes I even listen, and I hope others will:

When someone is as hideous, dishonest, arrogant, incompetent, lazy, careless, sloppy and stupid as the vets who took our companions are – then blaming yourself for their actions and inactions is just plain wrong. If a crook stole your car, would you feel guilty for parking it in the wrong spot, or driving it to the wrong destination, or even buying the “wrong” car in the first place? Of course not. You'd be blasting the thief to hell and back, placing blame exactly where it belongs, and doing everything possible to bring that criminal to justice. You would know without a shadow of a doubt that the crook who took your car was wrong – not you.

So why do we let these miscreants – who have already taken our pets, our trust, our money, time, energy, effort, health, sleep, privacy, peace of mind and so much more – why would we allow them to dictate where our lives go, or where our happiness lies, or what our futures hold?

Don't do it. You may not have been able to keep your precious pets safe, but you can keep your precious life safe. Don't help these creeps take anything else that doesn't belong to them. Haven't they taken enough?